Residential & Resort Rentals
Register to Receive
Home and 10.5 Acres
Two Premier Building Sites
Overlooking Ft. Dickinson & The
9397 Cowpasture River Hwy.
Millboro Springs, Virginia
Here is a rare opportunity to own and enjoy a private,
elevated bluff above the Cowpasture River with pristine views of Ft.
Dickinson Farm (see history at bottom of page) with its pastoral fields and surrounding mountains. The
views to the west and south from this level, easily accessible location
are nothing short of spectacular. The site currently features a 1,026
square foot sectional home in excellent condition containing 3 bedrooms and 2 full
baths with modern kitchen, dining nook, living room and utility area.
There are also numerous outbuildings and a massive covered carport. Best
of all, there is unrestricted George Washington National Forest access
at the bottom of the paved driveway just across the street. This
provides access to the Rough Mountain area which is known for
The Cowpasture winds its way through the river valley in
all its splendor.
Fertile fields back-dropped with the river and mountains
to the west from this elevated site are breathtaking.
Even the views to the southwest down the Cowpasture River
Highway (Route 42) are incomparable.
The old Route 42 stagecoach road crosses a lower portion
of the property, perfect for hiking & hunting.
There are two level building sites available on this
property. This is the northern site.
A fully paved driveway leads uphill to the sectional home
on the elevated bluff.
A huge covered carport/patio is attached to the home
which also has numerous outbuildings and sheds.
area with Kitchen/Dining
Guest Bedroom 1
Laundry Room at Back Door
This property represents a unique opportunity to purchase an elevated
site with spectacular views with all kinds of options. A new magnificent
home could be built on the site with a place to stay immediately; or the
adjoining 5 acres could be sold with its premier building site to lower
the cost of the initial purchase; or purchase the property as is and
leave all your options open. The property is located just off Route 42 (Cowpasture
River Highway) 2 miles south of the intersection of Routes 39 and 42.
This property meets many of the most demanded attributes that today's
Access to National
to Main Road
Homeowner eligible to
join the Homestead Golf & Tennis Club
CONTACT: Selby Schwend at (540) 839-3533 (Ext. 13) or Cell (540)
292-2152 or Email HERE
History of Ft. Dickinson:
In the mid 18th century, this frontier area was aflame. Pioneers hungry
for land were being attacked by Shawnee, Mongo and Delaware tribes of the
Ohio who were seeking to drive the farmers from traditional native hunting
grounds in this section of Virginia. In addition to fortified houses
providing some protection, garrisoned forts were established by order of
the colonial government, to be sited at regular intervals among the early
farm settlements. In 1755 and 1756, George Washington toured many of these
strong points from Patrick County on the North Carolina line to Frederick
County where his militia was based in Winchester. Three forts were on
lands which in 1791 became part of Bath County - Ft. Dinwiddie on the
Jackson River in northwestern Bath, Ft. Lewis along the Cowpasture River
in northeastern Bath and Ft. Dickinson on the Cowpasture River in
southeastern Bath. Adam Dickinson came to this river valley in 1744,
taking up 1,000 acres on the Cowpasture. His son, John, was an Indian
fighter for 25 years, his family lands lying on the Shawnee path back to
Ohio. Ft. Dickinson became a meeting point for settlers and travelers
heading west and a trading post for hunters and trappers coming from the
Indian territory. The exact site of the fort is not known but two knolls
west of the river, visible from Route 42, seem to be possibilities. In
all, Washington spent a decade in the Virginia back country, coming first
as a surveyor for the vast Fairfax lands of the Potomac and Shenandoah
region. He loved the land he was seeing. And in the manner of early
surveyors he spied out some of the best of it for himself, paying for it
with his professional fees. Eventually he held title to 52,000 acres in
the lands beyond the Blue Ridge Mountains.