9397 Cowpasture River Hwy.
9397 Cowpasture River Hwy.
Millboro Springs, Virginia
Listing Price: $175,000
9397 Cowpasture River Highway. Millboro Springs, Virginia
Reduced from $195,000
Here is a rare opportunity to own and enjoy a private, elevated bluff above the Cowpasture River with pristine views ofFt. Dickinson Farm (see history at bottom of page) with its pastoral fields and surrounding mountains. The views to the west and south from this level, easily accessible location are nothing short of spectacular. The site currently features a 1,026 square foot sectional home in excellent condition containing 3 bedrooms and 2 full baths with modern kitchen, dining nook, living room and utility area. There are also numerous outbuildings and a massive covered carport. Best of all, there is unrestricted George Washington National Forest access at the bottom of the paved driveway just across the street. This provides access to the Rough Mountain area which is known for exceptional hunting.
This property represents a unique opportunity to purchase an elevated site with spectacular views with all kinds of options. A new magnificent home could be built on the site with a place to stay immediately; or the adjoining 5 acres could be sold with its premier building site to lower the cost of the initial purchase; or purchase the property as is and leave all your options open. The property is located just off Route 42 (Cowpasture River Highway) 2 miles south of the intersection of Routes 39 and 42. This property meets many of the most demanded attributes that today's buyers request:
- Smaller Tract
- Elevated Site
- Fabulous Mountain Vistas
- Access to National Forest just across State Road 42
- River View
- Immediate availability
- Convenient Access to Main Road
- Homeowner eligible to join the Homestead Golf & Tennis Club
- Heating provided by forced air Propane Furnace
- Central Air Conditioning
- Private Well and Septic
- Annual Property Taxes - $628
History of Ft. Dickinson
In the mid 18th century, this frontier area was aflame. Pioneers hungry for land were being attacked by Shawnee, Mongo and Delaware tribes of the Ohio who were seeking to drive the farmers from traditional native hunting grounds in this section of Virginia. In addition to fortified houses providing some protection, garrisoned forts were established by order of the colonial government, to be sited at regular intervals among the early farm settlements. In 1755 and 1756, George Washington toured many of these strong points from Patrick County on the North Carolina line to Frederick County where his militia was based in Winchester. Three forts were on lands which in 1791 became part of Bath County - Ft. Dinwiddie on the Jackson River in northwestern Bath, Ft. Lewis along the Cowpasture River in northeastern Bath and Ft. Dickinson on the Cowpasture River in southeastern Bath. Adam Dickinson came to this river valley in 1744, taking up 1,000 acres on the Cowpasture. His son, John, was an Indian fighter for 25 years, his family lands lying on the Shawnee path back to Ohio. Ft. Dickinson became a meeting point for settlers and travelers heading west and a trading post for hunters and trappers coming from the Indian territory. The exact site of the fort is not known but two knolls west of the river, visible from Route 42, seem to be possibilities. In all, Washington spent a decade in the Virginia back country, coming first as a surveyor for the vast Fairfax lands of the Potomac and Shenandoah region. He loved the land he was seeing. And in the manner of early surveyors he spied out some of the best of it for himself, paying for it with his professional fees. Eventually he held title to 52,000 acres in the lands beyond the Blue Ridge Mountains.